Friday 22 May 2009

Ooh la la, I made Madeleines

Insert recipe here...
  • 100 grams butter
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • 1 cup of sugar - you could probably half this amount no worries
  • 100 grams of plain flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Essentially you start making something else stuff it up the first time and then wonder what the fuck you're going to do with the mixture of beaten sugar, lemon zest and butter. It didn't cream up like it was supposed to (see Michelle's blog in a day or two - we started that one again and made a delicious Lemon Delicious). So I let it sit for a while, had dinner and came back to it and added a little extra butter and it creamed very nicely anyway. WTF?. This is where my recipe departs significantly from a traditional Madeleine recipe too, but it was the only thing I could think of to make with a lemony sugary butter mixture. Oh well. Here goes...
  1. Beat softened butter, sugar and lemon zest till nice and white and creamy.
  2. Add vanilla and the two eggs and beat some more. Till they're light and fluffy I suppose.
  3. Sift in the flour about a third at a time and fold it into the mixture. No beating now because that would be... bad.
  4. Spoon the mixture into your Madeleine lightly buttered and slightly floured tray (pictured below). What? You don't have one? This is the first time I've used mine and I've had it for 6 months so you don't have to rush out and buy one in a hurry. Actually, the last time I made proper Madeleines I used a cup cake mold tray. Anyway the mixture will mound slightly above the tops.
  5. Cook in a preheated oven, 190°C will do the trick, for between 14 and 17 minutes. You can probably tell mine are slightly too brown on the bottom, at least they're not black, so maybe check them after 10 minutes. They're done when they're golden brown and when you touch them gently with your fingertip they spring back into shape.
  6. Turn them out onto a rack and sprinkle them lightly with sugar.
They're better the same day you make them but after stuffing myself with Michelle's Lemon Delicious and then 2 or 3 of these tasty little suckers I'm as stuffed as a stuffed thing. So at least I'll have plenty for breakfast in the morning. I'm going to name my first daughter Madeleine after these too I think. Ssssh, don't tell Michelle. Ooh la la, c'est tres bon.

No comments:

Post a Comment