Thursday 17 December 2009

On this day 6 years ago... Antarctica

Today is also memorable, for me, because it is the sixth anniversary of our arrival in Antarctica. It was very cool to make landfall on my birthday. The previous night had been a shocker. We had heavy seas and I was as sick as a dog. I threw up until my eyes bled. The morning brought the spectacular coastline of Antarctica and a stop to the vomiting.
The slideshow below has a selection of photos taken by Michelle of our trip. From the jewel of the Southern Ocean, Macquarie Island, to the windswept wilderness that is Antarctica. There are penguins, seals, huts and icebergs. The hut is Mawson's Hut at Commonwealth Bay and is where we made landfall on my birthday. The blue iceberg calved and rolled over only a few metres from us, a couple of days later, while we gallivanting around the bergs in rubber naiads (naiads are like zodiacs).

I was reminded of our Antarctic adventure by Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy post about the humongous iceberg heading towards Western Australia today. Link to Phil's blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment